- Workout Date - 07/10/2017
- Q In Charge - BOGO
- The PAX - 12th Man, Abacus, Beanie Weenie, Clarinet, Fender Bender, Half Nelson, Low Profile, Mr. Belding, Partner, Pebbles, Slug, Waterboy, BOGO (YHC)
- AO -
13 PAX showed up on a slightly less muggy (89% humidity instead of 98%) morning. I was really hoping we would have an above average group, but alas, we were 1 shy of tying our 14-person norm. Maybe one day I’ll get some love on my Q.
- SSH – 50 IC
- Mosey ½ lap to away bleachers
7s (Circuit – Stairs)
- 10 Burpees (60 total)
- 15 Jacknives (75 total)
- 20 Squats (80 total)
- 25 Merkins (75 total)
- 30 Planks Jacks (60 total)
- 35 Smurf Jacks IC (70 total)
After each circuit, PAX will run up one side of home bleachers, across the press box and down the other side. Each subsequent circuit will drop the last exercise and add a rinse and repeat of the stairs.
In the end, the PAX went through the circuit 6 times (dropping a movement each time) and ran a total of 21 sets of stairs.
Everyone agreed this was terrible. No time for Mary.
- Beanie Weenie and Half Nelson took top honors on the stair portion.
- 12th man incorrectly identified Low Profile as the old man walking the stairs several minutes after we were back at the flag.
- Slug severed his friendship with YHC. We had a good run though!
- Pebbles took a tour of the Alley in search of a toilet (following in Fender Bender’s footsteps).
- Several PAX actually named Burpees as a desirable alternative to stair running.
The theme of the workout was “If you want to go up, you’ve gotta go down.” In life and leadership, humility is the key to unlocking true success.
Scripture is filled with references to this:
Matthew 20:26-28 – Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
Philippians 2:5-11 – “In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death—even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
1 Peter 5:5-6 – All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.
Matthew 23:12 – “For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
When we embrace the idea that we are not the center of the universe and intentionally put God and others ahead of ourselves, we will be able to “go up” and find true success.
Some practical ways that I need to practice humility:
- Let others go first in the fun things.
- Go first in the difficult things.
- Be ok with not having the last word.
- Don’t try to one up others.
- Fight the urge to direct conversations back to yourself.
- Don’t interrupt other people.
- Take a genuine interest in what other people are saying.
- Tell the whole story on social media.
- Celebrate the good things that are happening in other people’s lives.
I encouraged the PAX to take inventory of their own lives and find the ways that they can practice humility personally.
It’s always a pleasure to lead this group. Let’s do it better next time!
- Praise for Clarinet’s dad’s job situation.
- Beanie Weenie’s coworker Debbie Knight in loss of her 38-year-old daughter Katie.
- The family of Becky Downard. Hoping to raise money for an orphanage abroad in her honor.