- Workout Date - 11/13/2014
- Q In Charge - Flay
- The PAX - Latka, Seal, Squeal, Sanchez, Caviar, Rusty, Ashely, Updyke, Semper, Cataract
- AO -
Aye, with the winter coming, it was time to offer up a Q School Refresher Course for any Swamp Rabbit PAX who were interested in getting their learn on. YHC sidled up to the Tank, planted the flag and waited for his pupils to appear out of the Gloom.
11 men showed up for Professor Flay’s Classroom. Here’s how it went down:
Quick discussion of why we’re here.
Pop Quiz: What is the mission of F3?
“Our mission is to plant, grow and serve small workout groups for men for the invigoration of male community leadership.”
That last word being the most important. If you want to be a leader, the starting point is to lead a workout. Like the basic unit of organization in the Army is the platoon, the basic unit in F3 is the workout.
Rundown of Core Principles:
F3 workouts …
- Are free of charge
- Are open to all men
- Are held outdoors, rain or shine, heat or cold
- Are led by men who participate in the workout in a rotating fashion, with no training or certification necessary
- End with a Circle of Trust
Those are the only hard and fast rules, gentlemen. As a Q, your job is to show up with a plan, be ready to adjust that plan as needs be, and lead with authority. I’m copying this directly from an email I got from @OBT to the F3 New Orleans PAX several weeks ago:
“…assertiveness and a command presence can carry the day in almost any situation. As my partner Dredd is fond of saying, ‘When falling, dive.’ When you jack something up, move onto the next thing. When you forget what it was you were going to do next, just tell the pax, ‘Follow me!’ and start running; you’ll think of something on the way. In the world of F3, a mediocre plan executed with vigor and certainty trumps the best plan executed timidly every time. You don’t have to feel confident inside, but as long as you project confidence and command to the pax, that’s half the battle — the rest tends to fall in line.”
Put differently: Fake it ’till ya make it.
One thing you can lean on, both as a guide for yourself and to help pull the group together is Counting in Cadence, which was a main focus in this session. I’ve found that this basic fundamental is the true home base in every F3 workout. We warm up in cadence. COPs in general typically involve cadence. We do 6MOM in cadence. Once you have this down, the rest of the workout follows.
For a somewhat goofy/disturbing description and rundown of cadence, please see here, and feel free to mock @NANTAN and @OBT to your heart’s content (#niceweightvestdude)
Various exercises led by YHC and then by our newbie Qs to practice counting. Various levels of success were attained, so we’ll come back to this.
Mosey up to the hill behind Jason’s furniture. Quick discussion about how you don’t have to recreate the wheel. Read backlbasts and the Lexicon to find circuits/evolutions that you want to try, like, say:
Run the hill. Burpee at the top. Rinse/repeato ascending to 7 Burpees.
Some crazy thang called Tornado Lunges x 20 led by @Caviar.
Mosey to the bottom of the parking lot
COP (more cadence practice for the newbies)
Werkins x 10 IC
LBCs x 30 IC
Mosey to shelter 11
COP (you guess it. more cadence practice)
TBC squats #crowdpleaser
Mosey around back to the basketball courts
1 merkin/4 air presses up ascending up to 5 merkins/20 air presses and back down to 1/4
Discussion about how to set up your workout. Dredd’s “string of pearls” method is what we followed pretty much in this session, but you can set it up any way you want as long as you finish on time.
6MOM (final cadence practice)
Let by all the newbies
Heels to Heaven
Lastly, can’t not have it if I’m leading:
Spicolis x 10
Pop Quiz: What’s the Mission and what are the 5 Core Principles of an F3 workout?
100% pass rate. #success
- Great discussion all through the session. I know I harped on cadence quite a bit, but I truly believe that, once you have that down, combined with authority and assertiveness, everything else falls into place
- Winter gear order ends on 11/15
- Shovel flag party at @Trycycle’s shop after Legacy on 11/15. 2.0’s are welcome
- Toys for Tots convergence next Thursday (11/20) at the Bi Lo Center. Wear your F3 gear and bring your shovelflag. TANKYARD IS CANCELLED 11/20. IF YOU POST, HEAD DOWNTOWN TO THE CONVERGENCE
- Greer Christmas Parade 12/7
- Praise for @Semper and his new bride finding a church home
- Praise for @Grit getting some good news to help his current situation
Devotional: Winter is Coming boys. Stay accountable. Lean on each other. Push each other. Pick each other up when necessary. Aye.